Thursday, August 9, 2012

Felting at the EKKA 2012

Well, it's that time of the year again. I worked hard challenging myself to make something special to enter into the arts and crafts competition at this years EKKA (Royal Queensland Show for those who are wondering what this is).

I managed two entries. Both in the nunofelt section and both using the skills I learnt at the workshops at the ContextArt forums in Katoomba earlier this year.

I spent quite a lot of time stitching and tyeing silk then dyeing it using shibori techniques. I truly enjoy this. You always have an idea of what might happen in the process but the excitement of taking out the threads after the dye bath is exhilerating.

Following the dyeing, I cut the fabric and prefelted the pieces. Then stitched them together and fully felted them to make the finished pieces. Each piece took a full week to complete and both pieces offered unexpected challenges. But the outcome is really pleasing.

And the most exciting part...

A first prize and best in felting section ribbon, and a third prize.

No comments:

Post a Comment